Nothing screams winter more than a hearty beef pot roast.
This classic beef roast is a winter staple and is sure to leave you wanting more!
1.5kg yearling beef roast
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
6 cloves minced garlic
1 to 2 cups Mike Press Cabernet Sauvignon
2 cups beef broth
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 large white onions cut into 5cm chunks
500g baby carrots
500g red potatoes cut into bite-sized chunks
1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. On the stove, heat a large, oven-safe oven pot over high heat.
- Rub all sides of roast with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to the pot and sear roast until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes on all sides.
- Remove roast from pan and set aside briefly on a plate or cutting board. Add garlic to the pot and saute 60 seconds. Deglaze pan with Mike Press Cabernet Sauvignon and beef broth over high heat for 1 minute. Add roast back to the pot.
- Pour Worcestershire sauce over roast and place the onion chunks, carrots, and potatoes on top of and around the meat. Place rosemary sprig on top.
- Place a lid on the pan and transfer it to the preheated 180ºC oven. Cook for 3 hours, (or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 95ºC), using tongs to turn beef 3-4 times during cooking. As you turn beef, also check level of liquid. If beef or vegetables are beginning to stick, add a little water to the dish.
- The beef is ready when it can be easily pierced with a carving fork. Transfer beef to a chopping board ready to be carved. Cover with foil to allow the meat to rest for 10-15 mins. If sauce is too thin, return dish to high heat and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent vegetables from sticking, for 10-20 minutes or until sauce reduces and thickens.
- Tilt dish and use a large shallow spoon to skim excess fat from surface.
- Cut the roast into thick slices and serve with vegetables and sauce drizzled over.
Thanks to Tasman Butchers for this one!
For other amazing recipes visit our recipes page: https://mikepresswines.com.au/news-reviews-recipes